Thursday, March 17, 2011

All Advice Welcome

Since the high school I teach with is currently on Spring Break, I have tried to let my insomnia just run its course every night.  By doing this, I have not even attempted to turn off all of the lights or electronics until 2-ish.  One night I was up past 5am.  This makes for sleeping in very late, which is appreciated, but unwanted in the long run, knowing I have to pick up my routine schedule starting Monday.  I usually wake up around 6:45am every weekday and attempt to get to bed by 11:30pm-ish.  This "going to bed" is usually helped along by Benadryl, Advil PM, or Melatonin (not all 3 every night, I switch them off so my body does not get so "immune" to each, though that does not always prove possible).

I have had problems sleeping for years.  It was slightly annoying in jr. high, high school times, but did not happen often.  At times I'm sure it happened in college, but we were all staying up so late all the time that I didn't take much notice.  After college, and especially after living in China, I've found it extremely hard to even "feel" tired enough that I knew I'd get a good night sleep.  Now, the aforementioned sleep aids may help the initial falling asleep process; however, they rarely keep me asleep.

I guess what I'm asking for is any good ideas or home remedies anyone uses that you've found successful...

Please leave any and all ideas as a comment :)

2 comments:

Ashley Hankins said...

Oh my goodness I just typed a really long comment and it got deleted. UGH.

Basically, I said a few things:

1. No exercise at least 3 hours before bedtime.
2. No tv, computer, ipod or anything like those that gives off blue light at least 30 minutes before bed, but for you, it should probably be a lot longer than 30 minutes.

-Basically those 2 things stimulate "awake" chemicals in your brain that make it hard to fall asleep.

3. Read a relaxing book (not a suspenseful, exciting one) with DIM light. No bright lights..they have the same effect as the tv/computer screen and exercise.

4. Take a relaxing bath, maybe with some lavender oil which is known for its relaxing properties. It's supposed to help with sleep. I actually have some lavender pillow spray that I got from Bath and Body Works.

5. Ooo I just thought of this one: CELESTIAL SEASONINGS SLEEPYTIME EXTRA tea. It is AMAZING. Make sure it's the Sleepytime EXTRA with Valerian root (this is the same stuff they make Valium from). The side of the box actually has a warning label against driving and stuff. Drink some warm tea with a hot bath by candlelight..that should help.


Most importantly of all- you need to set a routine where you go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends. If you can do that, your body will be much better off and should have less trouble falling asleep early. It sounds like you already have a routine..it's just at 2 am rather than 10 pm or whenever you would like it to be. So, gradually start working toward that earlier time. But you have to commit to doing it every night with minimal exceptions if you really want it to work. Your body will fall in line if you program it and tell it what time is bed time. I promise!

I want to hear how this turns out. Keep me posted!

CelestéMarie said...

Thanks so much, Ashley! I will start trying those. I do keep the TV on (The Office) just until I really feel tired :/ I know I should stop that. Also, I'll get some of that tea today and see how it works :)